Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

I'll Go For Miles Till I Find You

Then looking upwards
I strain my eyes and try
To tell the difference between shooting stars and satellites
From the passenger seat as you are driving me home.

"Do they collide?"
I ask and you smile.
With my feet on the dash
The world doesn't matter.


I've been having a pretty normal week.For the first time in four months, I'm not crumbling under the pressure of work. I know I have a lot on my plate, but let's worry about that next week?

It's funny how we're slowly graduating from going to fancy restaurants, swanky clubs and bright, high ends places to hang out to normal, basic places. I am so glad about that. The evenings no longer end with a hole in my pocket. It's the pulse of the city that we truly feel in these underrated places. It's a feeling I can hardly express.

Last weekend, we chured out around 5 lists of where we wanted to go. My inbox received it's usual weekend planner from "brown paper bag". Like tradition, we never followed it.

At 11pm, I was sprawled on the floor, youtubing the famous "community channel" and feeling miserable. The other two were on calls, trying to push time to move faster so it would be the 'respectable' time to sleep on a weekend.

Just then a friend called. And decided to save the night. To begin with, there was no plan. The night seemed friendly, and quite frankly, a walk was all I needed. A walk is all I ever need, always.

We happened to reach Juhu beach. It had just rained. The sand was damp and made a squelching sound as we walked along. Our slippers seemed to be made of that muck, within 5 minutes. And so, the smart thing to do was to walk bare foot.

We talked as we watched the waves making continuous happy crescendos, riding over the calm water of the pensive sea. Humans were scanty around the entire stretch of the beach. It was just us, four friends, and the sea. The sea almost seemed to be laying a bait for me to run towards it. It was fascinating and yet, scary. I knew the sea wanted to eat me. I still wanted the sea.

We sat down, and we watched the lights from afar, the ships anchored right in the middle of the sea. They seemed to be teasing me, having reached where I would have liked to go, at that very moment.

After what seemed like a lifetime, it was time to go back. We walked in the opposite direction, to see where it would lead us to. In the middle of the walk, with the wind playing with our hair and happily whistling around,a sudden spurt of energy got me running. Me and my friend ran, for about half the stretch. I ran like I was 13. I ran fast, and I cursed my friend, beating my pace, all along. My lungs were about to burst, but I still ran to reach my mark. I slipped a bit, my legs ached, but i ran. We touched the pole that marked the end of the race. As i stood doubled up, catching my breath, I could almost feel the fresh, healthy oxygen passing through my starved lungs, calming it every minute.

It was time for home. We rode through the rain washed, empty, quiet roads. With the passing of each turn, I felt I had left behind another memory...


When you feel embarrassed then I'll be your pride
When you need directions then I'll be the guide
For all time.
For all time.

No comments: