Pages

Monday, September 03, 2012

Cinema was AT HOME

I think I'm going to have to eat my own words. I could delete them but I'm going to eat them.

Suits, Woman on Wall Street was a great read. Not only was the narrative fast, interesting and fun, I could in some way relate to the protagonist and I almost felt nostalgic in the end. I have suggested this one already to some and while some guys might find it a bordering chick-lit sort of a read, it is one that will for sure keep them entertained, nevertheless.

I started my morning with the usual facebook browsing while I tried to avoid listening to the chitter-chatter in the Metro and tried to divert my mind which was constantly screaming, "Why can't woman just use a damn deo?" I saw, right there from one cousins wall to the other, a video post. A song from this movie.


And I remembered something. Back, during my school days when adolescence was bursting out of me I was full of ideas that needed a platform. So a friend and I started a small venture. Which had no budget nor takers. It was a venture of spoof videos.

We had many ideas and too many ambitions. I had a phone which had camera cataract. Friend had a phone which resembled a soap case. We wrote our own script, dialogues and no movie was more than 10 seconds long. Mostly because we had to shoot it all in one go. We knew zilch about editing and we were very lazy.

Each video was made in not more than two takes because we were just that good (also because we were lazy.) But we believed a lot in improvisation. I was always the guy because my friend's Hindi sucked. Since some spoofs were on Bollywood movies, her Hindi was a hindrance. So I was different hindi-speaking characters in different videos. Some times a vegetable vendor, sometimes a local goon. One blockbuster hit video had me starring as Govinda. In the many others I played actors and characters from our daily life but mostly, I was Govinda. That's why I am a big fan. I feel for the guy, I played him through most of my adolescent hood. Friend had a more versatile role. She was the protagonist, narrator, backstabber and villain. She did a good job at even giving background score cos she's a great singer. She was also quick at giving inanimate objects in my room roles impulsively which made them very happy.   

At times when we needed more than two characters, we used Buffy to play them. He once played a cut for intermission which he liked a lot since it only involved him sleeping and giving us a snoring sound bite. But on another occasion when we used him as a shopkeeper who was supposed to give us Twix, he didn't like that idea at all so he snapped very angrily and tried to eat my disabled-cataract camera phone. That didn't go down too well for us so we had to drop him completely from our venture. From then on we used torn jeans, bags, guitars and bras to play other important roles.

We needed an appreciative audience so we showed our amazing movies to a close friend AN. While we played it all in front of him, he watched them like a stone carving - he never emoted, smiled or even applauded (which was very rude.). In the end we would insist that he gives a feedback and all he would say was, "Theek hai." Today we wonder how he's still friends with us.

We tried to add more people to the venture, like that one time when we got another friend MC to play a vital role in our movie. But she turned out to be too good. We had to drop her too.

Such was our blooming career. It was short lived but it was very successful. That was probably the first and last time I actually enjoyed my work. All traces and evidences of all those videos have been sadly wiped off from the face of this Earth. But those those were good times.

This one is dedicated to my bast frand who played my leading lady at all times. The show must go on....




No comments: