Pages

Saturday, March 06, 2010

The Trine-Sublime

This is a toast to the three best women in my playlist right now. The songs always manage to lift up my soul and make me want to sing along. Or not, but have the magical ability to momentarily, make things right. But on most occasions, echo my emotions. Their songs, just always, FIT. And the lyrics, they could've been written by me. Infact, the lyrical resemblance is uncanny. Any which way, here's what they mean to me.

1. Madeleine Peyroux- Your voice is phenomenal. The perfect mix of sensuality and base. A voice I've never heard before, a voice to envy, a voice to admire, a voice inimitable. "Lonesome" is closest to my heart, by far. Purely on the basis of it being for all occasions, and people. Situations and memories. It highly connotes mush, but it's far from that. It's emotionally loaded but it makes me want to smile. It's far from being a separation song, to me, it's a song of past togetherness. "Dance me to your beauty", is probably one of those few songs that make me want to dance. And transport me to the world of true, pure, jazz. A ting of sassiness and tease, an old sixties set up and a wooden dance floor.
Your lyrics are cryptic. Your lyrics are perceptive. And your lyrics remind me, of mine.

2.Katie Melua- You're songs are simple. And bang on. I hate them sometimes, for not being twisted. The pure honesty gives me an itch. It makes me fidgety, but I still can't hit "stop". I sit through it and I curse you, and I love you. I put you on a loop, sometimes. Your songs prick my self consciousness, my cocoon of control, and please my unadulterated side. You voice is as smooth as your songs. I've got to listen to you, atleast once in my 4 odd hours of music time. I'd have to rewind and go back in time, during those early teens , to write like you. But their relevance remains, even now.

3. Michelle Featherstone- You were introduced to me, by my closest friend. And hence, the obvious bias. Your songs substitute my mental situation, my inexplicable mood swings, the wordless world of fluid thoughts. I love the piano. And I love the lovely mesh of the two melodies, a beautiful voice set to the rhythm of the piano. You make me want to hang on to each word you sing, and feel it in all honesty. I don't listen to you too often. I listen to you only when I KNOW I need music, for therapy.

No comments: