Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

HARRY POTTER - it's never over


Obviously, like the title screams and all my facebook posts suggest, I've seen Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2). It's been 10 years since I've been a potter fan. TEN years. Nothing in my life has lived to be that constant- neither interests, nor hobbies, nor schools, not even my looks. Harry Potter has. Yesterday, after the movie got over, Rudy said, "Now what are you going to do? Harry Potter is over, nothing to look forward to." And I told him, "I'm going to read the books again, what else! That way, Harry Potter never dies, and is never over." Yeah, I've read each book atleast 15-17 times. So much so, in most movies, I could tell I already knew half the dialogues, cos I was so thorough with the books. I've never been so helplessly addicted, never been so horribly dependent on any book to keep me entertained and maintain an interest level that spans over a decade. A DECADE. Wow, that sounds weird. Inside the Potter world, I don't think I've grown up at all. And when I say grown up, I mean a state which is defined to be in proportional relation with getting 'over' things, fixations, and addictions as the number of years increase. When I picked up the first book, I was a little over 11. So was Harry. And since then, we grew up together. But me and neither did the Potter world grow out of the magical cocoon we were so comfortable in. I've never been embarrassed to admit that I still read Harry Potter. Well, maybe yes, of what I have 'grown out' of, is the squeamishness related to being old, and still being a Potter fan. I am one, and I say it as much.

The movie was more than just a 2 hour show of effects that zoomed across the 'reel' boundaries and came charging towards our fascinated faces, or the -wham-bam-show of curses and magical blood strewn over the black screen. It wasn't even seeing the characters walloping in sorrow and drowning in the world drenched with dark activities and defeat. It was the end of a part of me, when it comes to watching the book become a relatively tangible reality. The book and the characters still live inside the pages of black and white. The world of moving frames is, however, over. I was sitting with baited breath, my nails sinking deeper and deeper inside the huge Big Cinema's chair, waiting for the real WAR to begin. The three greatest characters that have ever lived were all going to be wiped off from the screens forever- Dumbledore, Snape and Voldermort.

The war was epic. The directorial choices for all the major characters were excellent, seeing them fitting their characters with a brilliant ease and conviction. Seeing Snape, for the first time, in a position which was vulnerable and pitiable, and his final end, was something that, even I was stunned watching. I remember after reading the second book, I was thoroughly convinced that Snape was a good man. I even remember defending him on various fan sites. :P The guy was so convincingly dark and yet had serious  undertones that suggested not. Voldermort was more dangerous than ever, although, far more scared and insecure.

The hall was charged with energy and excitement, you could almost taste it. When Neville slashed Nagini's head with one swing of the Griffindor sword, and its head went spinning across the dark screen, the hall erupted, and the clapping was deafening. When Mrs Weasly wheeled around, seeing Bellatrix Lestrange shooting a curse at Ginny, she screamed, “Not my daughter, you BITCH," showered a series of red, green and blue sparks at that maniacal Bellatrix, who finally got hit and crumbled in the most melodramatic manner, the hall was full of screams again. I was so excited, I might've cried a little. When the movie got over, I started clapping, and the hall followed suit (HAH!).

I'll never be completely over the books, or even the movies, I know.  It's not everyday you see a cinematic masterpiece of classic literature of wonderfully and powerfully woven into fantastic movie adventures in 7 films that complete one saga that will never be forgotten.

No comments: